Proper preparation of the substrate to be coated is often the most critical step in achieving long term coating performance. This crucial step is often misunderstood, trivialized, out-sourced or omitted completely by others in the industry. Prime Coat has the expertise to prepare your substrate properly to conform with NACE, SSPC and ICRI standards. We use a variety of preparation techniques including abrasive, soda, dry ice, shot, grit and soft media blasting, dustless diamond cutting and grinding, and water jetting and cleaning. Our expertise allows us to achieve the required level of preparation while minimizing the negative impact to the work area.
Prime Coat Substrate Testing Checklist
- Substrate Temperature
- PH of Substrate
- Sulfate Residue Testing
- Bond Strength of Existing Coatings
- Moisture Content of Concrete Substrate
- Dew Point
- Relative Humidity
- Ambient Temperature Range
- Abrasion Resistance Analysis
- Chemical Exposure Requirements
- Skid Resistance Requirements
Prime Coat Testing Equipment List
Sullmair FSC 2000-1346 Floor tester
– For measuring the wet and dry coefficients of friction between floor surfaces and a variety of shoe materials.
– Used for accurate measurement of coating dry-film thickness
Elcometer 106 adhesion tester
– Tests the adhesion of a coating to the substrate.
– Performs a direct measurement of total film thickness as well as the thickness of individual coats of paint.
– A non-destructive device for measuring coating thickness on wood, concrete and plastic.
– To measure the quantity of moisture passing over, through and below grade concrete floors.
Hydrion pH Pencil
– To check the pH of a substrate.
– A non-destructive, combination gauge measuring non-magnetic coatings on steel or iron and insulating coatings on non-metallic substrates.
ICRI CSP Visuals
– Visual testing against the International Concrete Repair Institute’s Concrete Surface Profile standards.
Elcometer 123 Surface Profile Gauge
– Measures the peaks and valleys of a blasted substrate.
– A temperature gauge that uses infrared technology to deliver immediate and accurate temperature data.
– Measures the moisture in concrete using radio wave technology.
Dickson TH550 Digital Psychrometer
– Measures the relative humidity, ambient temperature and calculates the dew point.